We may be a little biased, but we think our ambassadors are pretty great. So great that they often feel like our very own celebrities here at Hydaway HQ. However, they are real people who have jobs and school and kids and are trying to balance the wonderful craziness of the holidays just like you! So, we thought it would be fun to create a gift guide 100% curated by them. We asked them what gifts they’re most excited about giving this year, and here’s what they said:
Recommended by Hannah
“Concert tickets (cause I get to go too!!!)” Tickets to a concert, musical or play, or a comedy show is the perfect gift to create long lasting memories with the ones you love. Hopefully they pick you to go with them! Check out events in your town and see what’s coming in the next few months. If the event is scheduled but tickets aren’t on sale yet, get crafty and make a couple coupons good for two tickets!
Recommended by Leticia
Also giving the gift of memories this year is Leticia. “Experiences! We’re planning a 2 week trip to Alaska this summer with our 12 and 14 year old and are as equally excited about the amazing scenery as adventures like kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, and more that will make this a trip to remember!” Some families like to do one big family gift. Consider a trip, waterpark adventure, or even a night out to your favorite restaurant and a show. You’ll have memories for years to come and less stuff collecting dust in your basement years later.
Recommended by Payton
“A drone! Want to get amazing travel pics this year!” We totally love the idea of a drone as the perfect, slightly unexpected, gift for photographers or travelers. There are so many drones on the market for people of all ages too; anyone will love finding one under the tree! Check out this article to start your search and find the best drone at any price point.
Recommended by Zelph
“Fractureme.com is a great place to get photos printed on glass! They look super cool, and they’ve got good size options. Plus, they’re a carbon neutral company and are committed to sustainability!”
“My friends at Phoenix RUSTorations upcycle/refurbish old tools and stuff. We commissioned an axe for my dad for Christmas, and it’s beautiful. They do all the gorgeous work by hand and really do a great job making a high quality, personal gift.”
“I love giving hand drawn maps to people. Everyone has a place (real or imagined) that’s special to them.” Such a cool and unique idea! There are so many styles of hand drawn maps too; check them out on Etsy.
Here are some other gifts Zelphia suggested. There are so many good ideas here!
- All natural citrus hand soap. This one is $6.99 on Etsy and comes in tons of other scents if citrus isn’t your thing.
- My favorite books for the bookworms on my list. She recommends Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (biography), The Art Forger by B.A. Shapiro (mystery), Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (YA), and The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander (fantasy series) – just to name a few!
- Fuzzy blankets. Always. We think this one looks insanely cozy. $75.
- Locally/ethically made chocolate. We’d suggest something like Alter Eco’s Vegan Bundle – only $20.99 for six bars that please most diets (vegan & gluten free). The perfect stocking stuffer!
- Original artwork/calligraphy. There are so many shops on Etsy that will personalize art or a calligraphy piece for you. A family name, favorite book quote, or even a personalized journal are great places to start.
- Reusable mugs/water bottles. May we suggest a Hydaway bottle? We love mugs too though for hot cocoa, apple cider, tea, coffee…all the hot things! These gnome mugs are not only absolutely adorable, but they have a lid to keep things extra warm and come with a removable tea infuser if you’re a tea drinker.
- Bluetooth Polaroid printer. It’s so rare these days for people to take the time to get pictures printed. Make it easy for them with a little printer that can be connected to their phone via bluetooth!
Recommended by Lori & Emma
Great minds think alike, and both Lori and Emma are giving handmade presents this year. Emma says, “I love giving handcrafted gifts. I like to crochet so I am always making something cozy. If you don’t know how to make anything or you don’t have the time, consider supporting small local artists.” Did you know you can search by location on Etsy? If you’d prefer to shop from your computer but still want to support local makers, you can find the “shop location” section on Etsy’s search filter and enter in your state or city to find items made locally.
Recommended by Meaghan
“Family pictures for all! Having an infant really makes it easy to give gifts 😂” Did you have family photos taken recently? Or maybe you had them taken last year, but forgot to get them printed… Well, now’s the time! Shutterfly is a great resource to get your pictures printed in books, on canvas, ornaments, mouse pads, new stockings…you name it!
Recommended by Leslie
“I am giving gifts with a self-care theme: Arbonne’s Rescue & Renew Relax Set with Detox Bath Soak, Detox Scrub & Detox Gelee for friends and family to start taking some “me” time!😉”
Recommended by Gwen
Gwen was a wealth of great gift ideas for all ages:
- A Shutterfly book with pics from our vacation with our grandson this summer.
- Gift cards to Caribou and gas station for stocking stuffers. It’s amazing how much teens and college students appreciate even $5 – $10 to their favorite coffee spot!
- Clothes for the grandkids. Kids aren’t always thrilled about clothes, but they do need them! So consider giving something more high quality that will last longer, like shoes, a jacket, or fleece sweatshirt. We love Boden for kids (and adults!) of all ages.
- My pottery and knitted items. Again, handmade gifts are wonderful! If you’re in a time crunch, check out Roseline Pottery and Peony Knits on Etsy.
- Just found out that I can buy state fair tickets, looks like there may be some for stocking stuffers.
- I’m thinking a PubPass for my hubby. It’s only available in select cities, but a similar idea is a couple of tickets to a nearby brewery tour for a fun stocking stuffer!
- Magazine subscription to ChopChop magazine for the grandkids. They have three publications – cooking magazines for kids, families, and adults.
- Gift certificate for the zip line nearby.
- Renew the zoo membership for both of our children’s families.
Recommended by Dana
“I like giving cozy gifts. Blankets, sweaters, robes, and slippers that one wouldn’t buy themself but is just luxurious. If someone mentions they want to read a book I reviewed I jump on that and pair it with great socks or their favorite coffee.”
“I also try to be practical. My parents are getting the Tile system for their keys since they seem to misplace them a lot.”
Recommended by Sara
“I’m super excited to give a 12month gift to the kids- a box with 12 envelopes each to be opened on the first day of the month that include the intended activity/event for that month – the gift of dedicated time together though life gets busy. Movie passes, camping in the backyard an extra time, and other little tidbits – free or paid, it’s more about stopping and ensuring as we move, we make time for each other. ☺️”
“A friend made this for us and we are having them made for the families in our family.”
Sara also suggests “framed family photos for all, experiences: painting pottery with grandma & water park with the kids, local artist-made earrings for my sisters and sis in laws.”
A huge “THANK YOU!” to all our ambassadors for their wonderful gift ideas! What gift are YOU most excited about giving this year?
Cover photo courtesy of The Appliance Judge