This is a guest blog post by Hydaway ambassador Zelphia Peterson. Follow her on Instagram @z_claire29.
I’m willing to bet someone has told to make sure you’re hydrated. On some level, we all get that it’s the healthy thing to do. But why? In this blog, I will be sharing the benefits of hydration. Plus simple ways to drink more water during your day.
1.It keeps your body running smoothly.
Your joints function more smoothly, your muscles rebound more quickly from stress, and it helps keep your cardiovascular system ticking. Over 60% of your body is composed of water, and water is needed for almost all of your body’s vital functions. Think of it like putting gas in a car – you need to replenish that supply to keep everything functioning in top form.
2. It filters toxins out of your system. Your kidneys are your body’s filtration system. Anything you drink will eventually get filtered through those vital organs, which incidentally, are among the first to shut down if you are severely dehydrated. The more water you drink, the faster some toxins can be filtered out.
3. It helps with digestion and the absorption of nutrients. Remember the part about how staying hydrated keeps your body running smoothly? Well, that means all of your body’s systems. Not only does it make the entire digestive process easier from end to end, but it can also help your body absorb additional nutrients along the digestive tract.
4. It keeps your skin soft and supple. No fountain of youth magic tricks here, but water helps keep your skin hydrated on a cellular level. That means less drying out, flaking, and cracking, which in turn reduces redness, inflammation, and dull-looking skin. Staying hydrated not only helps you feel your best, but it can also help you look your best!
5. It’s a brain booster. Not only does drinking enough water help prevent and treat headaches, but it can also help keep you alert and focused throughout the day. Even mild dehydration can impact brain function (including mood and memory function) to some extent, so be sure to stay hydrated to get the best out of your brain.
So with all of that in mind, it’s clearly pretty important to keep drinking water. However, I am the first to admit that staying adequately hydrated can pose a challenge. Some days drinking the recommended amount of water daily can feel like an impossible task. And if you’re like me, it can be easy to lose track of how much water you’re consuming or get sidetracked by a busy day. These are 5 tips that I’ve learned to help stay hydrated throughout the day.
1.Set a goal and keep track. This one is so important. Experts recommend drinking between 64 and 128 oz of water a day. If you break that down into 8oz glasses, that’s between 8 and 16 glasses of water. Choose an amount in that range, figure out how much your water bottle holds, and mark it down when you’re done! (Yes, there are apps for that.) It’s a sense of accomplishment for sure and can be eye-opening to see how much water you naturally consume or don’t consume throughout the day.
2. Make water accessible. I am a water bottle junkie (reusable water bottles, of course). I have a water bottle at my office, in my car, in my purse, and by my bedside for the middle of the night, in addition to having special ones for road trips, camping, and traveling (looking at you, Hydaway!). Having a water bottle with me almost all the time means I always have water an arm’s length away. If I have a goal like drinking 64 oz. of water at work, I know I need to drink 2 water bottles in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. It makes it easy to take a sip every now and again without feeling like you just drank a swimming pool. Also, if you’re going somewhere that may not have a faucet or water fountain, it can help stave off thirst, because we all know that being thirsty and not having water around is the worst.
3. Eat foods that help keep you hydrated. We’re talking all of the cucumbers, watermelon, and celery you can get. For more foods click here. Not only does it help with hydration and water content, but it will load you up on important vitamins and minerals.
4. Change it up. No one says that drinking water has to be boring! Pop in a packet of Crystal Lite lemonade mix or add some electrolyte drops to your gym water bottle. There are so many great options for flavoring your water so you never have to get bored. Many of them have some added health benefits, so it’s really a win-win situation. Figure out what you need for your lifestyle and just keep an eye on the sugar content to stay healthy and hydrated.
5. Drink a glass before and after every meal. If you eat three meals a day, that’s half of your water consumption for the day – just like that! Also, it may help you feel fuller longer. Double win.